Tuesday, January 9, 2007

National Championship Game - The Feast of the Buckeyes

I was nervous and anxious before the game, fearful to predict what outcome would result, or even how they would match up. For months I had been hearing unending news of OSU’s invincibility countered by the Gators vulnerability. With all these epic accounts of OSU’s greats to boot, I was wondering why we were even playing this game and not erecting statues of Smith and Laurenitis up instead. A ten point spread? I didn’t see it that far apart but it seemed everyone else did outside of Gainesville. When I read the stories of Columbus’ new taste for gator meat I couldn't help but face the uncomfortable doubt of UF's chances. How could these fans be so confident about victory? South 1000 miles, the Gator’s fans didn’t seem to listen to hype. In Gainesville, fans were buying up National Championship gear as if supplies were going to run out. (That’s why you always see Championship apparel on sale in 6 months, because there is always a limitless supply)

Matching my uneasy nerves, I was brought to Game On, Boston’s OSU Alumni bar (I was unaware of the bar's affiliation before entering) by a few friends of the OSU persuasion. At Game On, I was one of three or four gators, the only wearing a Gators jersey, in a sea of red. There were probably around 300 buckeyes. The collective roar of the buckeyes’ fans watching their team being welcomed to the field made my anxiety even worse. Then came the kickoff… after two colossal pancake blocks by OSU, Ginn races down the sideline for a touchdown. Just like that. I thought for a few moments how I was going to have to leave and take the subway home without a ride, to avoid personal embarrasment and to bear witness to the upcoming rout. What was I supposed to expect?

Without losing a beat, Florida returned the kick and seamlessly marched into Ohio State’s red zone and Leak tossed a TD pass to Dallas Baker 7-7. Florida’s spread offense reminded me of something familiar: the Pats. Eating up 4 or 5 yards a play, creating many Third and shorts and happily taking what the D was offering.

I was still waiting for OSU to explode. We caught a glimpse of that explosion from Pittman’s 18 yard touchdown run in the second quarter but that turned out to be more flash than combustion. Florida’s offense did not falter, putting together consistent drives. Heismann winner Troy Smith and buckeyes could not. Florida’s defensive speed was something that Tressel’s squad had not been able to prepare for. Florida coach Urban Meyer had the Buckeyes playing honest on D by throwing screen passes, running reverses and draws, not letting OSU throw the kitchen sink at Leak. OSU never got any real consistent pressure on Leak as a result. Meanwhile, Florida’s D line never let Smith out of their sights, racking up 5 sacks and forcing uncharacteristic incompletions. Smith winded up going 4-13 for an embarrassing 35 yards. In all Ohio State’s offense compiled a dismal 82 yards in their 41-14 loss to UF.

During the game OSU’s hardened fans exposed their softness, approaching me with either idle threats about Ohio State’s impending comeback, asking how this was all possible, insulting me (“You’re ugly!”, a Ginn jersey clad hottie yelled in my face) and then giving excuses (the layover, Ginn injury, superstitious SI cover, etc etc). When a team is as hyped as the Buckeyes, the loss is even harder to digest. Once thought to be the “greatest OSU team in history”, they have became an ugly reality that Ohio State fans have to grasp. After knocking off both #2 ranked teams they faced, maybe this was a foreshadowing that they indeed deserved the #2 rank. And so be it, the final AP poll has them at #2 behind Florida.

There has to be something said about the layoff that OSU had between its last game, a 41-38 victory over league rival (and then-ranked #2) Michigan. Florida had two weeks less hibernation and looked in tune. Blame it on the layoff, but I doubt very much that ability is lost in fewer than two months. In the last few weeks I have wanted to believe what I already knew watching the SEC: There is no conference with better football talent, speed and athletic ability than can be found in the SEC. And I will bet a 12-1 SEC team over any other 12-0 team from another conference, any day. Atleast for the recent future, anyway. I said before the game regardless of outcome, and I will say this again: OSU would not have been perfect had it played in 9 SEC Conference games this season and perhaps would not had even played last night. Go Gators.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You clearly do not know anything about college football or about rooting for your team.

Jaquins Lyre said...

You obviously cannot distinguish between supporting your team and being clairvoyant. Let me guess you are a disenchanted buckeye hater, or one of the elite members of the gator faithful that thinks their mindless devotion should be vindicated. Regardless, what do you know about college football?