Monday, March 26, 2007

Hi my name is Sam. How can I help you?

I was calling a support line for my Proxima Ultralight s520 LCD projector and man who was obviously based out of India answered the phone. Being a world citizen I did not balk at an inconvenience of trying to decipher his meaning through a thick accent. Instead, I welcomed the opportunity in deciding for myself if globalization produces more proficient support for products. Although at one point the man had to spell out a question he was asking, and actually got a bit discouraged by raising his voice, this gentleman and I got along just fine, though I still didn't have much faith that anything could be achieved through this process. After putting me on hold to consult the support inroads on the product, he returned to tell me "thank you for you being on hold" and that they weren't supporting this product any longer. I wasn't surprised in the least. He did tell me I could "trade-up" my product for a new InFocus projector and then left the phone by wishing me to "Have a nice day." I just did have a nice day. Talking with a gentleman from India about an old LCD projector just made me realize how small the world really is insomuch that I am able to communicate, albeit not entirely well, with a person living halfway around the world as if he was down the street. And knowing that Technical Support positions pay well in India and not in America, I would rather talk with an employee enthusiastic about his job than a disgruntled one . Thanks Sam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange article. I would of told this guy I was going to take my magic carpet over there and smack the dot off his forehead. I have no problem sending jobs to India but no jobs that involve communicating with American customers. Operations and back office only.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is KRUPALINI HASSAN SHANTHARAJU and I work for a financial company in Bangalore India, not only do American find it hard to say or spell my name but I also speak horrible English and have no understanding of their society. Thanks for you dollars and enjoy the frustration that I provide daily.