Saturday, March 29, 2008

Screaming Orphans at Woodhaven House, Queens, NY

Everything happens by chance and chance met our party of three with the Screaming Orphans at a Queens dive last night. Whether it was ten beers I had already downed before I reached the bar, the dimly lit interior or noticeable absence of any real good options, but this band of sisters caught my eye as we walked into the bar. Their cover tunes were decent and besides walking by the band stand as we staked claim to a non-threatening corner of the bar next to two mildly attractive girls dancing with one of those non-attractive ones (description not necessary), I didn't really pay them mind outside their immediate good looks. I like live music probably more than the next guy does, but I don't care for exposed poppers whose coolgirl fashion imitates what's trendy today. That's what they appeared to be, and their song was a cover on something classic rock. I thought to myself, atleast with the unfavorable ratio and talent, I would have some something to keep myslef entertained outside my two buds.
Then the lead singer spoke. Her delicated brogue immediately peaked my interest. She seemed a little tentative, shy and maybe even lacking in self-assurance, which for a pretty blonde was strangely attractive. And then my peaked interest was rewarded with a few consecutive Irish songs that were played expertly, atleast to my novice ear(of Irish descent). While their American renditions were good but not great, their Irish inspired songs were excellent. The three of us left the bar soon after they finished their set, impressed with the band but more importantly, the pleasure of listening to good and live traditional Irish music. I became a fan of the Screaming Orphans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/beach-party-supplies.html]beach Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike