Friday, January 9, 2009

A New Year

It’s really 2009 and I have already made a few mistakes writing 2008 at the end of some dates. It’s tough to break a year-long habit; and in the same breath, as it is trying to break life-long (multi-year) habits. All the vices that I am overdue on, simple ways to forego an early collision with the doctor are resisted, instead, favoring the ephemeral pleasure. Isn’t it odd that such a wise creature constantly affords him/herself the tentative pleasure for potentially permanent pain? Smoking, unprotected sex, Drugs, Alcohol, Drunk driving, poor diet, and laziness can all lead to harsh repercussions. Yet how many of us subscribe ourselves to such wanton abuse on a regular basis? I would venture to suggest that there are very few who are mindful of all one’s activities.

I looked at a list of possible New Year’s resolutions, and can’t imagine how depressing next December will be looking at that list and realizing that even though I probably accomplished great things (relative of course), maybe not even one will be from that list. What is the point of resolutions if they are impossible to keep? Does the thought of resolving our perceived malignancy give ourselves hope in the coming year? I have resolved to quit all smoking, even bar-time butt breaks, probably several times in the last few years, including this one. But even last night, watching the Gators beat the Sooners in the BCS Nat’l Championship, I was tempted to bum a smoke off of those not resolving to quit outside the bar.

The BCS and the Playoff series talk is so obvious, it’s painful. As a Gator, I can’t help wincing though, as every news story covering the game also includes the talk of the real no.1. It’s too bad that it comes to a head, as my college football team takes home the trophy, as I can only imagine how the talk must make the national champions maybe feel even a bit bitter. I mean think about how long they have waited to play this game and when they finally do, the muffled conversations before about playoffs and the real no.1 become full-blown following a less-than-exciting premier football showcase. It’s as if the No.1 team is decided by the last game they play in, rather than for a season. However, for as much as I would like to believe Florida is the real no.1, I also would submit that college football needs some sort of bowl playoff series to decide. It doesn’t matter how many teams; 6, 8, 12, 16… just something more than a calculation based on irrelevant points. After all, somebody has to put Utah in its place.

No comments: