Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Providence College loses out in tournament bid

I thought this year could be the year. After the then-no.1 Pittsburgh upset, I thought we had a chance to get in. Then we faltered to Villanova by double-digits but still I had hope with the Big East tournament. Then we lost to no. 1 seeded Louisville. Ok. There not that good I thought, but with a 19-13 record and 10-8 in the best conference in men's college basketball in America, I thought they have a strong bet to get in. With a starting squad of 4 seniors, this team is poised to make a run at it too. I had some faith in these guys, much more than can be said about prior teams since I graduated 5 years ago. Efejuku was a hair away from blossoming into real NBA talent and it is a real shame that his showcase couldn't be a sweet sixteen cinderella story. Instead PC was shamed into the loser NIT bracket as a dispicable no.4 seed. JB is right when he is frustrated with the Big Ten squeezing as many teams into the tourney as they did. They have no business getting them in. It is really a shame. Well, I will be cheering the Friars on for the rest of the postseason NIT games and hopefully they can prove that they deserved a berth in the big dance when all the smoke clears. Elsewhere, I will be waiting for next year's rendition but with a lot less hope than I had for this year's team. Good luck to McDermott, Efejuku, Kale, MacKenzie and Hanke.

No comments: