Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Un-real estate

Seemingly these days I need to be angry about a certain situation before I can write about it. I am trying to take a giant leap here and write while upset, not necessarily seriously, but certainly not angry. Everyday I glance on craigslist to research real estate offerings for sale in and around Boston and everyday I am disappointed to find that buying a property is out of reach. I don’t have the money to put down to buy anything desirable that would have an immediate resale value. How does a 2-bed condo on Comm Ave in Brighton cost 250 for unit that was built in 1910?

It is undeniable that Boston is headed towards the look of its European counterparts where city living is chic and expensive compared to its suburban neighbors. The notion of the inner-city will become a forgotten term for the 40s-90s when outward expansion from cities peaked and people settled in outlying areas in droves. Now long commutes, ridiculous traffic and perhaps the ennui of suburban life is driving people to turn in their garden tools for subway passes. The effect on the real estate market in the early part of this decade was a blessing to agents everywhere.

While the boom is over, the prices remain doggedly high and relent to come down to realistic price. The question of renting vs. buying leads me to want to own, but what neighborhood can I realistically afford? You have to look at areas that will boom, the next South End or South Boston. Charlestown is already too high. Chelsea’s prices are down, but Chelsea seems to evade any investment interest. East Boston’s prices are up, but the value just doesn’t add up. Dudley Square and Mission Hill are possibilities but I don’t want to wake up with my car gone in the morning.

Savin Hill and the Washington St. part of Jamaica Plain are both realistic but will either gain momentum in the future real estate market and be worth the investment. I want to live in Washington Square in Brookline or in the Fens/MFA area but both are out of reach at the moment. Meanwhile, I will be hitting Boston.com and Craigslist for the listings!

No comments: