Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Not in the News

"Talk about the candidates...and the issues."

What issues have even been spoken about? I haven't heard about the War in serious discussion over the last month in the news besides suicide attacks in Iraqi markets and more dead GIs. I keep hearing about change from both parties yet nothing about how America is going balance budgets on a soaring national deficit.

After I scoffed at hearing of how Palin's youth and beauty would energize a "male vote", I stood corrected at the Pat's game listening to a score of young men as devoted defenders of her beauty. How pathetic our election has turned into a beauty pageant. If Sarah Palin breathes life into McCain's campaign with strong ideas, good, however, if she has fronted a pretty face for a decrepid man's brain, then this is not helping the US pick the right president.

I always have concern over families having many children. In a world where resources are being tangibly met with growing scarcity, I cannot imagine the gall (or wealth) that families declare that they are more righteous to have many children. I cannot chastise those with large families, and I will certainly won't defend my suggestion seriously, but I do find it revealing that the candidates craving the creed for "family values" also have the largest families.

It's disheartening to hear working-class voters describe particular candidates as being similar to their "upbringing." Reminiscent of Bush's "barbecue pal" appeal, I wish Americans would stop replacing their vote for political candidates with a popularity contest for who they could get along with best. They are all cold-cold men (and women) and should never be placed into some buddy-buddy contest. Just f'n silly.

No comments: