Monday, September 1, 2008

September 1: Labor Day

Four day weekend in Narragansett, RI: Beach, Picnics, Coast Guard and Casey’s, Irish Festival in Newport, Fish Market, Beach fireworks, Sneaking down late, Living, Laughing and Loving. And here on Monday sitting in front of my computer with all the events of the past weekend over, sadness kicks in peppered with the smiles of memory.

Just so I remember how funny my dad can be, I’ve included a few quotes from others as well, with all due courtesies…

[Oblong Fag falls off the side of the copper fire pit, scorching the grass with flames. Dad reaches to pick it off the grass and throw it back on the fire pit.]
Mom: “You can’t pick that up C, you’re going to burn your hands!”
Dad [As he is grabbing the fiery stick at the end not burning]: “Yes I can…because I am Superman!”
---
“I am going to call one chapter in my book, ‘Adventures of Antboy’”
---
“Antboy. I think that could be my new name.”
“Ok. But I don’t want to be antgirl.”
---
“Sandcheek.”
---


I guess the one thing you can always take from long weekends, is that these are always the times to spend with a smile on the face, with experiences that remind you that you’re living. Those other weekends can be spent doing whatever work needs to be done around the house. But give us the long ones to enjoy. And enjoy we will.

No comments: